Dogwood Tree

Dogwood Tree
Dogwood Tree

Monday, August 8, 2011

The Island and the Tsunami



I liked this doodle Ben wrote in my notebook (I colored it later). We traveled around the edge of one particular bay where, according to one of the volunteers, "The damage would have been even worse, except that the island took the brunt of the tsunami." Always amidst disaster, there are cases of hope like the island, where one feels (or wants to feel) divine intervention. Will noticed that among the wreckage, somehow shrine gates seemed to be mysteriously spared!

On the other hand, when I visited Wano Kaikan, a small refugee center, and expressed an interest in the rumored "god of the mountain," a man gave me a wry grin.
"Kikanai kamisama desu yo." (That god doesn't listen.) In view of the mess just a few hundred yards down the mountain, I can certainly understand this view, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment