Dogwood Tree

Dogwood Tree
Dogwood Tree

Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Gutter, Part II



Ben and I got tired after the first day, but Will liked The Gutter and opted to continue for another four days. During that time, he got to know "my guy," (from my previous blog) and the guy pictured in the photograph, Mr. Ban. Mr. Ban was good at English, and good-humoredly translated for the three gaijin (foreigners) on the team.

One reason Will liked gutter work was that the filthy water was nice and cool. Afternoons were baking hot, and the humidity was always high, so even chemical-filled water was a draw. At least the day I was there, Will spent most of his breaks standing in the water. "My guy" went to the length of stripping down to his shorts and washing both his body and his clothes in the water (although the foreman recommended against this). The first time he did this, he didn't have a dry towel, so I leant him one of ours. He was remarkably grateful and assured us that he would give us a new towel the next day-- which he did. He also gave us a fan. I should have been used to such good manners after twenty years of present-getting, but I was amazed that even the gift of a simple wash towel required a formal counter(measure). How can I be useful as a volunteer, when no matter what I do someone else does more for me?

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you were VERY useful, Marn. Great story... but I want to know what kinds of chemicals were in this water!

    ReplyDelete