Dogwood Tree

Dogwood Tree
Dogwood Tree

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sensible Shoes



Today's shopping list: Volunteer Insurance, Helmet, Sensible Shoes.

Volunteer Insurance: Tono Magokoro, the relief organization I joined, requires volunteers to get volunteer insurance, so I set out to Sakasegawa Station. After blundering into an old folks home (which actually did have the correct form, but now the official stamp to put on the form), I was directed to the Welfare Center. Clutching my form, I managed to take the wrong turn not once, not twice, but three times as I searched for the well-concealed, small building. Since I hastened down each incorrect street with great confidence (after all, I can read the street signs!), each wrong turn cost me about a half hour. When I finally did reach the center, the process was pretty simple, although the woman at the desk was rather surprised to see me.

Helmet: My colleague at Kobe College leant me her motorcycle helmet. This is going to look real dumb, since everyone I see on the news is wearing matching white hard hats. Oh, well-- I gave up trying to look cool in this country soon after my first arrival.

Sensible Shoes: My dad would be proud; I've purchased a pair of sturdy shoes with thick, hard soles. Let's see a stray nail puncture its way through these soles! I found this pair at a recycle shop near my apartment. Naturally, they are men's shoes. I also picked up some really cheap men's shirts. I made sure that they are all pink, but I doubt anyone will be fooled into thinking that they are women's clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment