Dogwood Tree

Dogwood Tree
Dogwood Tree

Friday, May 6, 2011

I'm a Senior Lady, I'm a Senior Lady. . .


Well, I ran into another senior before even reaching the station this morning! She was a very nice lady who actually invited me to come back home with her! She lived in a beautiful house surrounded by rose trees, lilacs and clematis. She was thrilled that we both have a friend in Minnesota, we both like to sketch, we both have a connection to Norway, and we both know lots of flower and tree names. I wowed her by reading her name, Yuzawa, from the nameplate of her house. It's a cheap trick, but never fails to amaze the Japanese, most of whom believe that no foreigner with white skin could possibly read their language.

I agreed to go to Mrs. Yuzawa's art show next week Wednesday-- instant friendship! Seriously, why am I suddenly attracting so much attention among the population over sixty? This never happened before. Maybe there's something written on the back of my shirt that I don't know about.

I'm posting a picture, which is not of Ms. Yuzawa, but of a woman I saw at the station in Nara. This purple hair is strangely elegant; it matches the color of the purple wisteria, which was at its peak on Thursday.

2 comments:

  1. You sure are having some senior moments this trip! I love the title of this entry. Oh, sorry - I forgot to mention to you that Sara and I took all your trip clothes and sprayed them with old-people-attracting pheremones. Older people are where it is at!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was all Corinna's idea, I assure you.

    What a great story and this is a great photo, too - that hair is quite the color!

    It was fantastic to talk to you this afternoon in our "group" setting. I promise no harm was done to Curt or Ben. I don't know where Will was, so I'm not making any promises there. ;)

    ReplyDelete